Thursday, June 8, 2017

Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz

702480Goodreads Says:    Fantasy lovers of all ages will rejoice at this chance to travel once again to the marvelous land of Oz!

A California earthquake sends Dorothy Gale and her new friends--Zeb the farm boy, Jim the cab-horse, and Eureka the mischievous kitten--tumbling through a crack in the ground. Deep beneath the earth, Dorothy is reunited with her old friend the Wizard of Oz and his troupe of nine tiny piglets.

Together, Dorothy, the Wizard, and their friends travel through many fantastic lands, where they encounter the Mangaboos, people growing like vegetables in the ground; cross the Valley of Voe, where dama-fruit has turned everyone invisible; and are captured by mysterious flying Gargoyles. At last, the intrepid travelers reach Oz, where they have many unforgettable encounters with such favorites as the Scarecrow and the Tin Woodman, the Cowardly Lion and the Hungry Tiger, Princess Ozma and the wooden Sawhorse.

Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz was the fourth Oz adventure. First published in 1908, it has captured the imaginations of young readers and listeners for four generations. Now a new generation can discover these superb adventures for themselves. This deluxe gift edition faithfully reproduces the rare first edition, including all sixteen color plates and all fifty black-and-white illustrations by John R. Neill, as well as the original colorful endpapers.

My Thoughts:

-    I'm sad I haven't read all the Oz books before now. They are real treasures.

-    This book was a little slower and not as enjoyable as the others, but I still liked it. It didn't get really fun for me until the characters reached Oz.

-    I really like that the wizard is reintroduced. He is a fun character.

-    I don't like the new illustrations as much. I don't like how the characters are depicted, and they are too busy. 

-    There are a few discrepancies in the story. If there are no horses in Oz, why did Tibs think the sawhorse looked like a real horse and bring him to life? Ozma's history was changed. I think the author didn't want the wizard to be the bad guy and have awkwardness between him and Ozma. 

-    Dorothy's cat is a snob. I like Toto and Billina better. 

-    Overall, not my favorite in the series, but still good. 

Previous Oz Books
(covers are linked)

60181 430480 560635

1 comment:

  1. For some reason this is the first time I noticed when these were published. They're much older than I thought. It seems like this genre wasn't a popular one back then so I'm even more intrigued now.

    ReplyDelete