Thursday, August 10, 2017

Star Wars: Death Star

3577785From Goodreads:    

“THAT’S NO MOON.”
–Obi-Wan Kenobi

The Death Star’s name says it all, with bone-chilling accuracy. It is a virtual world unto itself–equipped with uncanny power for a singularly brutal purpose: to obliterate entire planets in the blink of an eye. Its annihilation of the planet Alderaan, at the merciless command of Grand Moff Tarkin, lives in infamy. And its own ultimate destruction, at the hands of Luke Skywalker, is the stuff of legend. But what is the whole story, and who are the players, behind the creation of this world-killing satellite of doom?

The near extermination of the Jedi order cleared the way for Palpatine–power-hungry Senator and Sith Lord–to seize control of the Republic, declare himself Emperor, and usher in a fearsome, totalitarian regime. But even with the dreaded Darth Vader enforcing Palpatine’s sinister will, the threat of rebellion still looms. And the Emperor knows that only abject fear–and the ability to punish dissent with devastating consequences–can ensure his unchallenged control of the galaxy. Enter ambitious and ruthless government official Wilhuff Tarkin, architect of the Emperor’s terrifying dream come true. 

From inception to completion, construction of the unprecedented Death Star is awash in the intrigues, hidden agendas, unexpected revelations, and daring gambits of those involved on every level. The brightest minds and boldest egos, the most ambitious and corrupt, the desperate and the devious, all have a stake in the Death Star–and its potential to control the fate of the galaxy.

Soldiers and slaves, loyalists and Rebels, spies and avengers, the innocent and the evil–all their paths and fates will cross and intertwine as the Death Star moves from its maiden voyage to its final showdown. And a shadowy chapter of Star Wars history is stunningly illuminated in a thrilling, unforgettable adventure.

My Thoughts:

-    I've always wanted to read a Star Wars book, but I never knew where to start, and I was a bit intimidated. Well, I finally picked one and read it! 

-    The beginning was very dry and very slow. I wasn't sure if I was going to finish the book, but I kept going, and slowly it became more and more interesting. 

-    There are a lot of characters, and it takes a long time to learn the characters and for them to start interacting with each other. Most of the book, I wondered why these characters were important, and why I should care about them. Now that I've finished the book, I'm still wondering why I should care about them. 

-    Darth Vader and Tarkin were the most interesting people to read about. I already knew who they were, and I why they were important. Plus, they are the ones that intermingled with the part of the story that converges with A New Hope

-    I liked getting to know Tarkin better. His character intrigues me, and he was interesting to read about. 

-    The story really took off for me during Part 2. That is when A New Hope starts, and I loved seeing the Empire's side of the story. 

-    The writing is very dry, and it took me a while to get used to. Once I was used the writing, the book became more enjoyable. 

-    Overall, I'm glad and proud that I finished this book, but I probably wouldn't read it again. 

3 comments:

  1. You need to read one of the Han Solo books since you love Han Solo. I think you'll like one of those more ... maybe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to read that as my next Star Wars book.

      Delete
  2. Sorry your first foray into a Star Wars book wasn't amazing. I've never read one but have heard there's some great ones out there.

    ReplyDelete